Americans frequently say "It's a good idea to..."or "It's a bad idea to..." do something. Most of the time the phrases (good idea and
bad idea) provide advice to someone. They encourage someone to do something or warn them not to. We also use those expressions to tell jokes (as in the pictures above!).
Here are some examples of the positive
- It's a good idea to wait 30 minutes to an hour to go swimming after you eat.
- It's a good idea to finish your homework before you go to sleep so you won't feel rushed in the
- It's a good idea to calm down before calling your ex (either -boyfriend or
- It's a good idea to listen to your wife! (She has the power to crush you.)
Here are some examples of the negative
- It's a bad idea to argue on your first date.
- It's a bad idea to drive without wearing a seat belt.
- It's a bad idea to eat as much as I just did!
- It's a bad idea to start a fight with someone 2x your size.